Monday, April 23, 2012

Getting Lost On Purpose


The phrase, "Youth is wasted on the young" is something my Granddad always said to me growing up. It's one of those sayings that make a little more sense as you get older and one day it hits you. The more worth a saying has, the harder its true meaning hits you and continues to hit you. When I step on my skateboard, climb a tree with my daughter or make fart noises at my son, this saying is echoing around in my head keeping me young. Reminding me to enjoy life through the eyes of a five year old.


Today was one of those days. As a kid, any one of us had the luxury of not really having any serious responsibilities. This afforded us free time that we didn't know what to do with. As adults, we can relate that feeling to the weekend, or a weekday off from work. More so the ladder because the world is still at work on a weekday and it seems less busy when you're not. I had the good fortune of being done with my responsibilities at around two in the afternoon. I ended my day near the edge of state owned land in Middletown, NY. My Granddad's voice pushing me from behind and the five year old in me begging to explore, I grabbed my camera, shut off my phone and went for a walk.



This was the trail head, complete with communal walking stick





The road goes right, but curiosity goes left.





This was my first found treasure. Not sure what it is yet, but in the middle of a rainy wet forest it was a little beam of light.







Another couple of random turns and I found this eerie marker of someone else's existence. There were
plenty of really big Maple trees scattered around so my best guess is an old sap collector. 





Who isn't a fan of some trippy moss?




On the way back I found another trail. 

Which led to this clearing. It was really marshy and the clouds started to get darker, so against my own wishes, (and the realization that it was my turn to make dinner tonight) I headed back. 



As I walked out of the woods and back onto the road, I was happily greeted by this humble home. 

All in all it was a great afternoon and I have my Granddads wise words to thank once again for reminding me to stay focused on the fun. Thank you for reading. 
Stay young and most importantly, Get Lost!
Peace and Love



No comments:

Post a Comment